Every one of us who battle the bulge have had to first reach what I call a Defining Moment of Realization (DMR) before implementing a diet and exercise regime into our lives in order to lose weight. A DMR is when something causes you to realise that you have reached critical levels regarding your weight gain and something has to be done about it immediately if not sooner. It is my belief that one has to reach that DMR first before making a lasting commitment to any weight loss plan. That DMR is essentially the inner fuel that keeps you going through the bad and the ugly of this journey and trust me, it can get really ugly.
Now, there are several triggers which bring one to their DMR. I will share what mine was with you in a moment, but first let me make mention of the most common ones which many of us are familiar with then I will walk you down the path it took me to get to my DMR. As you go through the list, I would like you to take a moment and reflect on which one(s) have/does rings the loudest alarm bell for you:
- Clothing in the wardrobe no longer wearable or coming close to that (unfortunately clothes do not lie)
- Seeing your reflection in a good quality mirror
- Photographs taken of you whether you were aware of it at the time or not
- The length to which one has to extend their seatbelts in the car or an airplane
- Comments on your appearance from candid family members or even strangers
All of the triggers above were applicable to me; however, none of them rang the loudest. I justified them as follows:
- Clothing in the wardrobe no longer wearable or coming close to that – the majority of my clothing in my wardrobe stopped fitting me so I simply stopped wearing those that would no longer zip or button up and squeezed myself into those that did and rotated those. I was not about to go out and buy bigger sized clothing because that meant accepting that I was on a weight gain trajectory.
- Seeing your reflection in a good quality mirror – I stopped assessing my size in the mirror – after all mirrors are subjective. Some show you up as being thinner or bigger than you actually are so really it does not give an accurate reflection of your true size. The function of mirrors became to check for cleanliness as far as I was concerned so I swiftly dismissed that trigger.
- Photographs taken of you whether you were aware of it at the time or not – this was easy, I was shot from a bad angle, case dismissed.
- The length to which one has to extend their seatbelts in the car or an airplane – this one can easily escape anyone’s notice because it happens gradually, however, for me I did notice the newer part of the seatbelt of my car that exposed itself as I strapped myself in and admittedly it did stir up a slight panic in me, but I pacified myself by telling myself that it doesn’t matter how much length is required so long as you can still clip it in, you’re good.
- Comments on your appearance from candid family members – this can be swiftly dealt with by giving a smart retort to any comments made that you may take offense to. I had those come backs locked and loaded in the barrel.
My DMR came one day when I had to get out of my car to open the garage. In order for you to fully understand let me explain to you the process of parking my car in the garage. The entrance of my garage is in a narrow servitude lane and for me to park in the garage I have to drive past it and then park my car in reverse. I usually position my car in reverse at the entrance of my garage before I get out and open the garage door which has to be done manually. The very spot I position my car is on a slight incline which requires more effort to get out of the car. This has never been a problem for me, I was so used to stepping out of my car and performing the necessary action of opening the garage door which would allow me to successfully park my car. On this particular occasion I positioned my car in reverse as I normally would and upon getting out of my car, I realised that I didn’t just step out of my car like I did previously, I actually had to rock myself back and forth to give me the momentum I needed to step out of my car! I was in such shock and denial that I had to do that again because that did not just happen. So trying this again… I got back in my car and tried to just step out and get out, but I couldn’t… I needed the rocking. And that ladies and gentlemen was my DMR. It was then I knew something had to be done immediately if not sooner.